Handsworth Old Town Hall is a Grade 2 listed cruck building dating from about 1460. It was brick-infilled in 1625 and was originally part of a group of small multi-occupied buildings/barns which were demolished in the 1930s. It was converted from three dwellings to two in 1946, and our half was occupied until 1973. A Council tenant still lives in the other half.
Its name probably comes from being ‘the Hall at Towne End’ and until the 19th century it served the sparsely-populated surrounding area as the HQ for the law, as it was the Constable’s, or Court House. As Handsworth was part of Staffordshire until 1911, it was also used for local administration purposes but was mainly the residence and office of the Overseer of the Parish.
Half the building is now run by a small group of volunteers as a community museum about the history of old Handsworth.
pictured: interior view
20 Slack Lane,
Contact Person(s): (Handsworth Historical Society)
Paulette Burkill Tel: 0121 747 5266