The ancient parish church of Sutton Coldfield, Holy Trinity, is first recorded in the 13th century but had side aisle extensions in the 1530s by the Royal Town’s benefactor Bishop Vesey, whose tomb is in the church.
The only remaining traces of the earliest 13th century building are to be found in brickwork below the east window.
The tower dates from the late fifteenth century. It is thought that, for its first two hundred years, the church consisted of a chancel and nave rather shorter than at present and that, when the tower was built, the nave was extended westwards to be joined into it.
Various alterations, notably of galleries added and taken away have taken place, similarly the installation of pews, pulpit and, in the nineteenth century the acquisition of a Saxon font. This was from an outlying farm, originally belonging to a church which had closed, but being subsequently used at the farm as a mounting-block!
pictured: the Bishop Vesey Memorial
Tel 0121 321 1144
Toilets in church, also good facilities in neighbouring Trinity Centre