The ancient parish church of Handsworth, affectionately called the 'Wesminster Abbey of the Industrial Revolution".
The church was probably Saxon in origin but the earliest parts visible are from the 1170 building - the bottom two levels of the tower are originally from that period. The majority of the current building is from 1879 which itself is a revision of the 1820 rebuild.
Historically there are significant memorials to the fathers of the industrial revolution. The remains of Watt, Boulton and Murdoch are within the church as are the remains of various dignitaries from the 16th century.
Tel 0121 554 3407.
Saturday 14.00 to 16.00 or by arrangement.
Guided tour by arrangement.
Situated on Hamstead Road, just off the Outer Circle, No. 11 bus route.